Saturday, May 2, 2015

Reflection for May 3, Fifth Sunday of Easter; John 15:1-8

Gospel: John 15:1-8
Jesus said to his disciples:“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and every one that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Where does life lead us without Jesus? It leads us to nowhere and nothingness. Our life is without meaning without Jesus. We are like a boat being buffeted by waves that has nowhere to go.

Life is meaningless without our connection with Jesus, we may have an abundance of everything that this world could give us. But these are all temporary, all of these we will leave behind someday. All of these worldly things will not give us peace of mind, it will even create emptiness in our  lives.

Jesus through the gospel for this Sunday tells us: You will never bear fruit unless you remain in me (John 15:4). Yet Jesus tells us also that we will bear much fruit if only we would decide to remain in Him.

Therefore let us always decide to be connected with Jesus, through our presence at Holy Mass, through the Sacraments and so forth. Let us not let go of Jesus even if life brings us tons of trials. For no trials are insurmountable with Jesus, if we are connected with Him nothing can bring us down. Nobody could tear us apart for His abiding presence is with us.

As the branch cannot survive without its connection to the vine. We too will not be able to survive without our connection with Jesus. – Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: