Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Reflection for Sunday August 4, Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Luke 12:13-21

Gospel: Luke 12:13-21
Someone in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me.” He replied to him, “Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?” Then he said to the crowd, “Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.”

Then he told them a parable. “There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, ‘What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?’ And he said, ‘This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’ But God said to him, ‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’ Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves but are not rich in what matters to God.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
A rich woman unexpectedly died without leaving behind a last will and testament. Her children were bickering since each one of them wanted to have the biggest share of the wealth. Therefore the once strong and loving sibling relationship became divided and distant and the reason behind was their greed for material wealth.

There are people who feel secure with material wealth as if it could save them from the certainty of death. There are people who think that because they have material wealth they can now buy even the honor of their fellowmen. These are all false notions for the reason that material wealth is temporary and it is not the be all and end all of life.

Material wealth by itself is not bad because this can sustain our life in this world. This can also be our instrument in spreading the love and mercy of God. For example, we help somebody in need using our material wealth which is surely not bad. Material wealth becomes evil when we become greedy that we allow it to possess and dictate upon us.

In the gospel Jesus tells us that life is not about material possession. If life is not about material possession what is life all about? Life is about God! If we have all the material wealth in this world yet we don’t have God in our life our life is still empty and barren.

This is for the simple reason that material wealth can be swiftly taken from us anytime. And it surely cannot bring us to heaven when our time of departure in this world comes. On the other hand if we choose to have God, God will be with us until eternity.

What is your priority in this world: To have material wealth or to have Jesus in your life? – Marino J. Dasmarinas 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice!!!!

Unknown said...

Amen

Leyla Pagbabago said...

My everyday goal is to have God Lord Jesus in my life, despite my busy life I would still be able to manage to pray the rosary and reflect with my daughter