Friday, May 1, 2015

Reflection for May 2, Saturday, Saint Athanasius, Bishop and Doctor of the Church; John 14:7-14

Gospel: John 14:7-14
Jesus said to his disciples:“If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” Philip said to Jesus, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Do we believe this pronouncement of Jesus that He is one with God? Of course we do, then what’s next after believing? Next after believing is to put into concrete actions what we believe.

Belief only is not enough, we have to translate this into living faith. Faith that is seen though our deeds, because if we only say that we believe. Yet we don’t translate it into actual acts of mercy and compassion, then it’s empty.

Jesus in our gospel tells us, “Whoever believes in me will do the things that I do (John 14:12).” Let us pause and reflect if we are able to somehow measure-up to this challenge of Jesus. Do we do the works of Jesus? Do we volunteer to help someone in need? Do we always say words that heal a broken person? Are we quick to throw judgment and condemnation?

 It’s so easy to say, I believe in the oneness of Jesus  and God.  Yet we are always challenged by Jesus to always prove it by our words and actions. - Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: