Saturday, May 09, 2020

Reflection for May 11, Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter: John 14:21-26


Gospel: John 14:21-26
(Jesus said to his disciples) “Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.” Judas, not the Iscariot, said to him, “Master, then what happened that you will reveal yourself to us and not to the world?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me.

“I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you.”
+ + + + +  + +
Reflection:
Do we always feel the infinite love of God?

A few years ago every Sunday morning I would go to a middle-aged sick woman to nourish her with the Body of Christ. After I read to her the Sunday gospel she would give her short reflection on the same gospel after which I give her Holy Communion.

One reflection that she told was about the love of God and she said: When she was still in the pink of health she would never fail to go to Sunday Mass to manifest her deep love for God. And she said further, now that I am sick and not anymore able to go to church I still feel this same love of God because God is still sustaining me with His Body, Blood and Divinity.    

In our gospel Jesus tells us: Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.” This words of Jesus is very true as I have seen it in the sick woman who loved God by way of going to Holy Mass every Sunday when she was still healthy. And when she got sick the Lord gave back the love that she gave Him.

One of the many truths of our life is its very short and it could end anytime. Therefore while we are still healthy let us express our deep love for God by our presence at Holy Mass every Sunday. But since we can’t go right now to gather in the Church for Holy Mass caused by Covid-19 pandemic, we instead attend online Sunday Mass. We do this not because we are expecting something from God someday. We do this out of our pure love for God.

How do we express our love for God? – Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: