Thursday, April 21, 2016

Reflection for April 21, Thursday of the Fourth Week of Easter; John 13:16-20

Gospel: John 13:16-20
When Jesus had washed the disciples’ feet, he said to them: “Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it. I am not speaking of all of you. I know those whom I have chosen. But so that the Scripture might be fulfilled, The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me. From now on I am telling you before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Are you afraid of sufferings and betrayal? In His humanity Jesus was also afraid of sufferings and betrayal. But His fears did not prevent Him from achieving His salvific mission. It even further strengthened His resolve to move-on amidst the difficulty of His mission. Jesus never gave-up no matter how hard the odds against Him for He knew that He had a mission to achieve.

Marriage starts like a rose garden it seems that everything is rosy and sweet. But after a period of time problems will crop-up, there shall be sufferings and betrayal of vows. So what must we do? Should we simply walk-away with our heads bowed in defeat? Or we stay, bear the sufferings/betrayal and fight for the sanctity of the marriage covenant.

We must stay and fight for the sanctity of the marriage covenant. Let us remember that Jesus remained with His mission notwithstanding the sufferings and betrayals. What if Jesus simply gave-up and walked-away from His mission of salvation? Anyway He’s God and powerful but He remained for His love for God and for all of us.

Many married couples nowadays choose the easy way out when testing comes to their marriage. They choose to betray and eventually walk-away from their marriage covenant. They simply walk-away notwithstanding their sacred vows and the welfare of their children.

Jesus never walked-away from His responsibilities, sufferings and betrayals, He faced it all and triumphed over it! – Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: