Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Reflection for March 31, Thursday within the Octave of Easter; Luke 24:35-48

Gospel: Luke 24:35-48
The disciples of Jesus recounted what had taken place along the way, and how they had come to recognize him in the breaking of bread.

While they were still speaking about this, he stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” But they were startled and terrified and thought that they were seeing a ghost. Then he said to them, “Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have.” And as he said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. While they were still incredulous for joy and were amazed, he asked them, “Have you anything here to eat?” They gave him a piece of baked fish; he took it and ate it in front of them.

He said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. And he said to them, “Thus it is written that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins, would be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
How would you react if a dead friend suddenly appears before you? Of course you will be shocked and perhaps after a few seconds you will shout and run away. This reaction is human nature, a natural reaction because you are not used of seeing ghost.

This was also the reaction of the disciples when Jesus suddenly appeared before them and said to them: Peace be with you. They were startled and terrified; who would not be? Then, Jesus slowly opened Himself to His disciples by inviting them to look at His hands and feet. And touch it if they want too to prove to them that He has indeed risen and is with them.

Perhaps some of us are troubled and worried because of our present life circumstances. If we are, Jesus would tell us: "Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? Firmly believe in me and I will take care of you. Call on me anytime and I will be with you, follow me and I will not disappoint you! I will give you peace, peace that you can’t find anywhere in this world. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid!

The peace that Jesus will give us is beyond compare nothing in this world can approximate it. Some of us mistakenly look for peace and comfort in this world only to end up holding an empty bag. Why? Because it’s only through Jesus that we will find true peace.

Look for the peace that only Jesus will give you and humbly ask Him to give it to you. If you will be persistent He surely will give it to you. – Marino J. Dasmarinas  

No comments: