Sunday, May 22, 2022

Reflection for May 24, Tuesday of the Sixth Week of Easter: John 16:5-11


Gospel: John 16:5-11
Jesus said to his disciples: "Now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you.  

But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: sin, because they do not believe in me; righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.

+ + + + +  + +

Reflection:

Are you afraid of separation? 

There’s a sense of melancholy in the words of Jesus in our gospel for today. He tells the disciples: “Now I am going to the one who sent me.” Just imagine the effect of these words to the disciples. Their teacher, leader, healer, father figure and close confidant would suddenly be leaving their presence? 

But Jesus will not be leaving them holding an empty bag because He is promising them the abiding presence of the Advocate or the Holy Spirit. The advocate who will always be there to guide them in every step of the way as they do their mission.  

Someday we will also be leaving this world. Through death our mortal being will vanish from the sight of our loved ones and friends. And surely there will be grief and loneliness as well. But our legacy would hopefully remain enduring and we hope that we would leave a lasting imprint in the hearts of the people whom we have been acquainted.  

This is the reality of life. There’s a time for everything in this world but we need not worry. For so long as we believe in Jesus we have nothing to worry. – Marino J. Dasmarinas  

No comments: