Saturday, April 24, 2021

Reflection for Sunday April 25, Fourth Sunday of Easter/Good Shepherd Sunday: John 10:11-18


Gospel: John 10:11-18
Jesus said: "I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep.  

I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father."

+ + + + + + +

Reflection:

The story is told about a father who tried his very best to provide for the spiritual and material needs of his family. The father would always work hard for the wellbeing of his family and he would never neglect to bring his family every Sunday to church for Mass. When he retired the father received nothing but love, praises and affection from his family. Why? Because he took care of his family. 

This father in our story is a good shepherd to his family and he is like Jesus who gave His life for our welfare. Do we completely trust our lives to Jesus our good shepherd? In our lifetime many would  appear in our lives so that they can shepherd us but they are false shepherds.  

For example, the lure of material wealth or power is a false shepherd. Why? Because this would not bring us peace neither contentment the more that we allow these worldly ambitions to shepherd us the more that peace and contentment becomes elusive for us.  

However, the moment we allow Jesus to shepherd us we also begin our journey to peace, contentment and spiritual enlightenment. Material blessings may not present itself to us if we make Jesus our good shepherd. But who needs material things when it gives us nothing but false hope, security and happiness? Many have commited the mistake of allowing the things of this world to shepherd them only to end with emptiness in the end.   

We would never go wrong in this world if we allow Jesus to shepherd us.Why? Because the Lord will lead us to paradise someday, paradise which we can actually experience right now if we allow Jesus to shepherd us.  

Is it the Lord who is shepherding you right now? – Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: