Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Reflection for Monday September 18, Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time: Luke 7:1-10

Gospel: Luke 7:1-10
When Jesus had finished all his words to the people, he entered Capernaum. A centurion there had a slave who was ill and about to die, and he was valuable to him. When he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and save the life of his slave. They approached Jesus and strongly urged him to come, saying, “He deserves to have you do this for him, for he loves our nation and he built the synagogue for us.” And Jesus went with them, but when he was only a short distance from the house, the centurion sent friends to tell him, “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you; but say the word and let my servant be healed. For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come here,’ and he comes; and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him and, turning, said to the crowd following him, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” When the messengers returned to the house, they found the slave in good health.
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Do you have concern for the poor and powerless? The concern of the military officer/centurion  for his slave is very admirable. We must emulate his worthy action of giving concern most especially to those who are poor and powerless.

What if the officer was heartless? There would have been no healing for the slave. By his act of concern his slave was healed by Jesus. We often times lose sight of the fact that we need to be concerned as well with the wellbeing of others especially those who are powerless and poor.

The me first attitude often times envelope us already thus we fail to see the many needs of our fellowmen most especially the poor and powerless. Why? For the simple reason that we are already overly fixated with our own needs.  

We would reap enormous spiritual blessings if only we would find time to help those who are poor and powerless. We will be closer to Jesus who loves the poor dearly. And we will find true joy and fulfilment the moment we begin to help them. -  Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: