Friday, October 25, 2019

Reflection for November 2, Saturday; Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls): John 14:1-6


Gospel: John 14:1-6
Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where I am going you know the way.” Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
There were two octogenarians who were near death one was a believer the other was not. The non-believer was deeply troubled on what would happen to his soul when he dies. The believer was very calm and was not afraid to die.

Today is All Souls Day, we remember our departed loved ones. Our attention is understandably more highlighted for them today. But is it only for them today? How about us who are still in this journey called life? Can’t we also reflect about our own mortality? That someday we will be the ones who will be visited, remembered and prayed for? What legacy are we etching in this world? Would it be worth remembering by our loved ones and friends someday?

There are those who dread the mere mention of death as if it’s a plague that needs to be avoided. But no matter how hard we avoid death using our wealth, power and even our faith. We cannot escape it because it’s a certain fact of life and it’s the rite of passage to the next life.

In the gospel Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places (John 14:1-2).” Therefore, Jesus is assuring us that we already have a place reserved for us there someday.

But we are still here in this world and the big question is can we be there someday to be with our Lord? Nobody knows about it except the Lord what we have to do is to simply follow His teachings.

We do it not to buy our way to His Father’s house; we follow His teachings because that’s what the Lord wants us to do. Then, when our time comes we simply submit our fate to Him.  – Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: