Friday, April 24, 2015

Reflection for April 26, Fourth Sunday of Easter; John 10:11-18

Gospel: John 10:11-18
Jesus said: “I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Who is a good shepherd? A good shepherd is someone who desires nothing but the good of his sheep. A good shepherd is also someone who would be willing to sacrifice his own life for the sake of his sheep.

 In modern times right now a shepherd could also be an object of our attention or even obsession. That seeks to control and dictate upon us.  For example, greed for money could be our shepherd if we allow it to control us. But if we allow money to be our shepherd it will not only control us it may even possess us. It may even destroy not only us even our family as well. 

Our Job could also be our shepherd, in what manner could this be? This could happen once we allow our job to enslave us. For instance, we focus more on our jobs rather than our family that we hardly have time for our family. So what would happen to the family? It may be destroyed and eventually disintegrate.  Our ambition to be wealthy could also be our false shepherd and there are many more false shepherd wannabes.

In the midst of all these false shepherd wannabes. Jesus wants to offer Himself to us for He is the good shepherd. He tells us in the gospel: I am the good shepherd (John 10:11) and I will lay down my life for you (John 10:15). Why don’t we consider this offer of Jesus and allow Him to shepherd our lives?  

Perhaps we could start by reading the life story and the life changing words of Jesus in the bible. We can also begin to take seriously the celebration of the Holy Mass by paying more attention to this sacred celebration. Where we can receive Jesus in the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

You might have already allowed money and other worldly ambitions to shepherd or control  you. But did it truly give you what you want? Did it give you peace and contentment in your life? -  Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: