Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Reflection for Sunday July 9, Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Matthew 11:25-30





Gospel: Matthew 11:25-30
At that time Jesus exclaimed: "I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to little ones. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him."

"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

+ + + + + + +

Reflection:

The story is told of two neighbors, one was rich, wise and learned and the other one was a simple and humble man. Naturally being poles apart they both have their own lifestyles. The rich one is fond of expensive things, he had good taste with the finer things in life and he lived a complicated lifestyle.

He trusted in his wealth: whenever he had problems he would always look for comfort on his wealth.  On the other hand the simple man trusted on God he would always pray for his protection and guidance. And he would consistently  attend Sunday Mass; God was always number one in his life.

To be rich is not a sin neither a curse in fact it’s a blessing from God that we must properly take care of. Riches or material possession becomes a curse in one’s life when we put our trust on it. When we regard ourselves so highly that we become domineering and arrogant.

So, what is the right attitude that we should always have especially if we are rich, learned and powerful? The proper behavior to have is to always be humble and simple. If we have almost everything in life the more that we become humble and simple. Jesus has everything yet He chose the less travelled path of simplicity and humility. 

In the first reading the prophet Zechariah echoes the power of Jesus by saying that His dominion shall be from sea to sea. And from the river to the ends of the world; He is meek and rode on an ass.

A person will never go to Jesus if he is full of himself. But the moment that person chooses to become humble and simple, he begins to open his life to Jesus.

When we begin to live Jesus’ life of humility and simplicity we would also clearly begin to discern this invitation of Jesus: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light. (Matthew 11:28-30)” – Marino J. Dasmarinas  

No comments: