Thursday, December 28, 2017

Reflection for January 3, Wednesday before Epiphany; John 1:29-34

Gospel: John 1:29-34
John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, ‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’ I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel.” John testified further, saying, “I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven and remain upon him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
When John was asked by the priest and Levites to confirm if he is the messiah he instead said: “I am not the messiah” (John 1:20). It never came to the thought of John to assume and pretend that he is the messiah. From the very start John knew his role, he knew that he was just the precursor. That’s why he said: “I must decrease and He must increase” (John 3:30).

Let us take a closer look at the life of John, he lived a simple life, he shunned publicity, he was humble, he never took credit of the things that was attributed to him. He instead always pointed to Jesus.

John is the epitome of a self-assured humble man who is content to do the role that was given to him by God. Fame, power even fortune was within his reach but he was never tempted to grab it. John is so unlike with many of us who will always take hold of every opportunity to gain credit.

By virtue of our baptism each and everyone of us especially those who know something about our faith are called by God to be like John. To let God shine at all times, and never be tempted to upend God for our own personal gains.

We must not use God for us to become popular and powerful. For true service for God and His people is not about popularity or about power. True service for God happens when we silently and humbly do our task. And we do it for the greater glory of God and not for our own glory!

John chose humility and simplicity; he chose to highlight Jesus more than himself.  Let us also choose humility and simplicity and let us also bring to light Jesus in our lives. - Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: