Wednesday, May 17, 2017

1Reflection for May 21, Sixth Sunday of Easter; John 14:15-21

Gospel: John 14:15-21
Jesus said to his disciples: "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows him. But you know him, because he remains with you, and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him."
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
A husband would always tell his wife that he loves her, his show of love does not end by his vocal profession. He follows it up by actual acts of love, say for example by helping her with household chores and by being faithful to their Marriage vows.

 As the husband continues to do these noble acts their love and marriage would surely flourish. And it would perpetually be blessed by the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

In this Sunday’s gospel Jesus promised the disciples an advocate who would always be there for them; to help and guide them. But for the advocate to be with them, the disciples must show their love for God by propagating His teachings and by living HIS commandments. Therefore there is no fulfillment of the promise of the advocate without the disciples’ obedience and actual acts of love.

It’s very easy for us to profess that we love Jesus, but do we really love Jesus? For example we say we love Jesus yet we betray the sanctity of the sacrament of marriage. Or we choose to turn a blind eye to someone in need of our help.  Where is then the concrete action of our love for God?

For our love for Jesus to grow and bear fruit we have to nurture it with actual acts of love. We therefore have to be faithful to our Matrimonial vows, we have to share Jesus and we have to become a living Jesus for others so that through us they will know Jesus.

As we do these noble acts we allow the Holy Spirit to come to us and we allow it to move freely within us. We therefore do good all the time and this we do not do by our singular actions. We do this because the Holy Spirit is prompting us to do it.

Do you want to feel the living presence of the Holy Spirit within you? – Marino J. Dasmarinas   

No comments: