Sunday, May 7, 2017

Reflection for Thursday May 11, Fourth Week of Easter: John 13:16-20

Gospel: John 13:16-20
When Jesus had washed the disciples’ feet, he said to them: “Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it. I am not speaking of all of you. I know those whom I have chosen. But so that the Scripture might be fulfilled, The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me. From now on I am telling you before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
What is the weakness of many followers of Jesus? It’s to act and behave as if they are bigger than Jesus. This is the failing of many who are followers of Jesus. But a true follower doesn’t aspire to become somebody, doesn’t aspire to raise himself in the pedestal of prominence.

He/she is simply content to become a nobody in the vast ocean of humanity who follow Jesus. He/she works tirelessly and silently with the end in mind that they have to advance the  teachings and goodness of Jesus in this world.

In the gospel, Jesus washed His disciple’s feet. Was this a simple ritual done by Jesus? Or there was a silent message for His disciples and for us as well. What lies beneath the act of washing His disciple’s feet is the message of humility. For they would not be productive in their mission without humility. And they would not be able to attract others to the faith without humility.

If we say that we are followers of Jesus it is also expected that we would be humble at all times. Never arrogant, never overbearing but always humble even if others are not. For the virtue of humility is what separates true followers from fake and fair weather followers of Jesus. - Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: