Monday, April 3, 2017

Reflection for Thursday April 6, Fifth Week of Lent: John 8:51-59

Gospel: John 8:51-59
Jesus said to the Jews: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” So the Jews said to him, “Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. But I do know him and I keep his word.  Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
Are you always on the same page with Jesus?

It’s very obvious that Jesus and those who were listening to Him were not on the same page. Otherwise they would have understood each other. For example, Jesus told the Jews; whoever keeps my world will never see death and the Jews were mocking Jesus because they couldn’t believe this statement.

How about us? Do we believe this statement of Jesus that whoever keeps His word will never see death? For worldly people this is hard to believe they will even be mocking also those who would tell this to them. But come to think about it, how would those with deeper faith react to these pronouncements of Jesus?

Of course they will believe since they have deeper faith and they’ve already developed this personal and deep relationship with Jesus. This is what separates the believer from the unbeliever, the believer because of his deep and personal relationship with Jesus will always believe whatever Jesus tells him in the gospel.

The believer makes every pronouncement of Jesus in the scriptures as his guiding light. Jesus is not a historical figure to Him Jesus to him is an ever present guiding light that illuminates his life.

Invite Jesus to guide and illuminate your life too! -  Marino J. Dasmarinas 

No comments: