Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Reflection for Thursday May 26, Saint Philip Neri, Priest: John 16:16-20


Gospel: John 16:16-20
Jesus said to his disciples: "A little while and you will no longer see me, and again a little while later and you will see me."So some of his disciples said to one another, "What does this mean that he is saying to us, 'A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me,' and 'Because I am going to the Father'?" 

So they said, "What is this 'little while' of which he speaks? We do not know what he means." Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, "Are you discussing with one another what I said, 'A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me'? Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy."

+ + + + + + +

Reflection:

Are you baffled by the mystery of life or life is just ordinary for you?  

For many of us life is quite simple: we get busy with our smart phones, we eat, sleep, work and do our daily ordinary routines. But for some life is mysterious also, we live today but we will not know what may happen next. This is life, very simple yet mysterious also.      

The disciples in our gospel for today were not able to comprehend this cryptic statement of Jesus: “A little while and you will no longer see me, and again a little while later and you will see me.” (John 16:16) Of course Jesus is referring here of His impending arrest and His resurrection and reappearance to them.  Perhaps even if we were present during that time we would also fail to understand the deeper meaning of Jesus statement.  

As we continue with our earthly journey there would be life events that will be very hard for us to understand. For example, the diagnosis of an unexpected sickness or an unexpected problem.  Thus, we may reach a point to contemplatively ask God, “Why is this happening to me?”  

Nonetheless, we must continue to believe that there’s a God who is in control. And we must continue to trust that things happen for a deeper reason that only God knows. – Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: