Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Reflection for Sunday May 19, Fifth Sunday of Easter: John 13:31-33a, 34-35

Gospel: John 13:31-33a, 34-35
When Judas had left them, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and God will glorify him at once. My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
+ + + + + + +
Reflection:
An old man who was about to die said to his children: In a few hours I know that I would be leaving you already. Since I have no material treasures to bequeath upon you. What I would be giving you is my love. My love that knows no bounds and this same love I want you all to have in your hearts as well.

Love is always easy to give when we receive love in return. But what if we don’t receive love? What if instead of receiving love we instead receive condemnation and hatred? Can we still give out love if what we get is hatred and condemnation?

In the gospel, the Lord commands His apostles to love each other because He would soon be leaving them. The Lord wants His apostles to love each other as He loved them. But the apostles were humans subject to their own frailties, from time to time they would be committing offenses against each other.

Notwithstanding their weaknesses the apostles soldiered onto their mission of evangelization. And they all achieved success, except for Judas who betrayed Jesus. Why did they achieve success? Because they lived to the hilt the command of Jesus to love each other.

Would you also follow and live to the hilt this love commandment of the Lord? – Marino J. Dasmarinas  

No comments: