Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Reflection for March 30, Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent: John 8:51-59


Gospel: John 8:51-59
Jesus said to the Jews: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” So the Jews said to him, “Now we are sure that you are possessed. Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’ 

Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? Or the prophets, who died? Who do you make yourself out to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ You do not know him, but I know him. And if I should say that I do not know him, I would be like you a liar. 

But I do know him and I keep his word. Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?”  Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.

+ + + + + + +

Reflection:

What does Jesus gives us? Jesus gives us eternal life, we believe that if we have faith in Jesus we will never die. Yes we literally die through our physical death but after that we believe that we will be with Jesus in heaven to live eternally. 

We primarily believe and love Jesus because we want to be with Him in heaven someday. But there are still many who do not believe in Jesus, yes they know Jesus but they don’t believe in Jesus.  Same as with the Jews in our gospel who did not believe Jesus when He told them that He already had seen Abraham and yet they didn’t believe Him they even had the temerity to throw stone at Him (John 8:57-59). 

So what should we do to those who know Jesus but do not believe or they believe in Jesus but their belief is in name only? We must therefore bring them closer to Jesus and to our faith. For example, this coming Holy Week, let us encourage them to attend the many liturgical celebrations in our respective parishes. For this surely will strengthen their union with Jesus and the church that He Himself founded thru Peter (Matthew 16:18). 

Liturgical celebration such as the Way of the Cross, the Chrism Mass, The institution of the Eucharist in the afternoon, the Veneration of the Holy Cross during good Friday and the Easter Vigil Mass during black Saturday. Let us not keep to ourselves our faith and love for Jesus let us share and live it as well. – Marino J. Dasmarinas

No comments: