Quotations:

I am with you always until the end of this world - Jesus (Matthew 28:20).

Preach the Word in season and out of season reproving, rebuking or advising always with patience and providing instructions (2 Timothy 4:2).

Do not fear, Mary, for God has looked kindly on you (Luke 1:30).

Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly. - G. K. Chesterton

Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Gospel Reflections for Sunday November 21: The Solemnity of Christ the King.


My Reflections:
Today we celebrate the Solemnity of Christ the King, a fitting homage we gave to Jesus as we end the church’s liturgical calendar.

The Kingship of Jesus is a paradox for majority of us because how could He be King when He is on the cross? How could He be King when He doesn’t even have a kingdom nor armed soldiers to protect Him?  How could He be king when He served instead of Him being served? How could He be king when He was being jeered, punished and then savagely killed on the cross?

Such is the paradox of the kingship of Jesus; if we look at it superficially it’s really not our idea of true kingship. But Jesus wants to open our eyes to this true kingship; the kingship that this world detest like a contagious disease.

Jesus wants us to realize that it is in our exercise of humility that we align ourselves with His kingship. It is in our exercise of service for everyone especially to those who are poor that we become living bearers of His kingship.

There was a story of a young man who was soon to be king; he was a silent yet faithful follower of Jesus; when he was about to be anointed as king by his brother. He whispered and told him: “My beloved brother after my anointment I will give everything under my kingdom to our people and I will live a simple life of service for them.”  His brother told him: “Why don’t you like power and influence? Don’t you like to be served like other kings?   

The young man said, I can fully exercise my power by being powerless and I will be more fulfilled if I will silently serve our people even until death. The baffled brother simply walked away.

We have our own divergent ideas on how it is to be a king or to be a leader. However, Jesus wants to put this divergence to rest by inviting us to learn from Him on how He exercised His kingship.

A kingship of Obedience, Humility and Service to His people even unto death; let us all follow this path of Jesus’ kingship. …

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting your reflections,,,it really helps me a lot in our religion subject,,,arigato gonzainas su........

Marino J. Dasmarinas said...

You're welcome!

Anonymous said...

your gospel reflections never fail to inspire me XD keep it up.. you never know how many people you have helped with this.. (including me)

Marino J. Dasmarinas said...

I'm humbled by your comment, thanks very much and God bless you!